made a little line to dry my yarrow~~
look at all those ndns. we are doing more than just still existing - we are dancing, singing, teaching & learning. oh, and eating.
— Lydia Lunch (via rroseselavy37)
oozing wound…I am that
Nelb died here on the farm and he was wrapped up sleeping and put up in the tree stand passed the horse pasture with Summer the sweetest dog
Foot in holes submitted by Coral Brookes
Old drawing work, 2013
Perforated paper with pins, needles, oil paint
Last night I made these drawings in my sketchbook for a zine I’m making called WARPED.
It was fun making looser/weirder stuff than I usually do.
©Phoebe Wahl 2014
^^^^ that scene hits me right in the *assimilated* child of an immigrant feels. Cause so many parents don’t teach their kids their native tongues (for various reasons) and it hurts us. Especially when we try to connect with those parts of ourselves but other people delegitimize our identity because of a language barrier we are not responsible for.
And before a grade A piece of Shit decides to chime in with “teach yourself” :
1. learning a new language is incredibly hard especially without assistance.
2. Many of us don’t have easy access to quality language learning resources for our mother tongues.
3. In regards to colonized people, of the easily accessible resources, most of them are the European versions of the language and not the language of the people. Which means you end up sounding like a stranger.
So yeah, nothing is funny about this at all.
4. White people are rewarded for learning/speaking more than one language. People of color are ridiculed for that same thing, especially if it impacts any part of their English. A lot of migrant parents think they are protecting us when they don’t teach us our native languages; They think if we only learn English, if we don’t pick up their accent, we might have an easier time in this racist society. Unfortunately, they’re usually right.
5. Learning a new language, especially as an adult, is extremely difficult. Add to that learning disabilities, neuroatypicalities, poverty, lack of resources, lack of time, and it’s nearly impossible.
[bolded for emphasis, though ITS ALL IMPORTANT]
jingle babes / double rainbow after a short rain